One reason John Young appears more credible than Assange is his background, another is his demeanor. Wikipedia says of John Young -
In 2007 John Young, operator of cryptome, left his position on the WikiLeaks Board of Directors accusing the group of being a "CIA conduit." Young subsequently retreated from his assertion but has continued to be critical of the site. In a 2010 interview with CNET.com Young accused the group of a lack of transparency regarding their fundraising and financial management. He went on to state his belief that WikiLeaks could not guarantee whistleblowers the anonymity or confidentiality they claimed and that he "would not trust them with information if it had any value, or if it put me at risk or anyone that I cared about at risk."Now, still in the same week of Assanges's exit, John Young has also appeared on The Alex Jones Show. Critical question - Is this, a legitimate interview or an attempt to build "street cred" within Jones's audience - an audience well known for its skepticism? Keep this in mind - if Young can successfully break into the alternative media cult with his message - it will resonate.
Young's message appears as the following in the Alex Jones appearance -
1) The leaking community cannot be stopped (without shutting down the internet).
2) The information leaked is credible. For example, in the Alex Jones interview, Young described attempts by the leaking community to "authenticate" the Bank of America hard drive before its release.
3) The leaking community at its core means well.
4) The leaking community, although created by the intelligence services, has, for the most part, turned on its master - gone rouge. "The people that are actually running it, that they hired to run it, are now reversing the panopticon."
5) WikiLeaks is a business (set up for profit - not for public benefit - "money is pouring in from both sides") but the leaking community itself is larger than WikiLeaks. (Young seems to be creating separation between the leaking community and WikiLeaks which will serve well in the continuance of leaks from other sources if/when WikiLeaks is shut down.)
6) The leaking community is extremely intelligent - more intelligent than the governments or organizations that fund them.
7) The leaking community is not truly independent. It is not a government agency, and it is not a combine - "it is none of those. The intent was to have nothing that could be attacked easily. So it is not an organization, it is not an entity. It's a concept, it's an asperation. It's a goal. It is not anything you are going to be able to take down by the usual means... WikiLeaks will not be taken down. It will pop up some other way".
Young's points, when viewed as a whole, appear intent on bolstering trust in the leaking community. Each of these points additionally should be viewed in John Young's own words -
We'll it is what I was told as a kid. Trust no one but yourself and warn people not to trust you. We say at cryptome, do not trust us. Through our ignorance we may deceive you or betray you. Do not trust anyone who speaks with a voice of authority and do not trust anyone who sells you protection. Do not trust anyone who sells you trust. Because their own ignorance and venality will betray you... We've got a lot of talk from people who are well known liars. And most hackers are liars because that is how they social engineer. Most people on the internet lie. I lie. Are you hearing me? I lie. I'm lying to you right now. Keep that in mind. Everyone's got their agenda...The show must go on. Also, in the Alex Jones appearance, John Young introduced a new cast of characters (the leaking community) and offered a lineup of coming episodes - both of which were published in the accompanying INFOWARS.com article.
Wikileaks Founder: Bigger Bombshells On The Way
According to Young, the new characters are listed on Wikipedia as "Cypherpunks". And, the coming episodes (roster of new releases "leaks" forthcoming) are as follows.
- Information about the internal affairs of Bank of America
- Files on weapons of mass destruction
- War plans of all nations, for and against one another
- Reports and training literature on black site prisons and torture chambers
- Files about clandestine spy agencies and their operatives
- Files on human rights abuses
- Files about billionaire political meddlers
- Files about global tax collection agencies
- Files about the Vatican’s meddling in global political affairs
- Information about the Clinton Foundation, although this was the only one on which Young wasn’t certain.
One thing is for certain - the media theater shall continue.