Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Jammed Sig Sauer P226 SCT - Update 1

Here's a link to the original post: Jammed Sig Sauer P226 SCT

Sig Sauer has properly identified the malfunction as a "Squib Load". They have recommended that I contact Hornady to file a warranty claim and that the cost of the repair will be $415.00 (nearly 1/2 of the cost of a new Sig Sauer P226 SCT). I will attempt to do this today.

Here is more information on Squib Loads:
Squib Load - Wikipedia

Images of a textbook squib load in a Sig-Sauer 9mm handgun:
http://www.thegunzone.com/squib.html

Because I was firing in rapid succession, I didn't notice the squib in my gun until it was too late. Thank God that I was only shooting targets. This goes to show you, even a high end gun with brand new ammo can malfunction without warning. Imagine the bad luck if the squib was the first round fired in a life and death situation. Now I fully understand the case for carrying a backup.

Update 11/12/2008: I received my repaired gun from Hornady. They took care of the repair at no charge. Although it did take several phone calls and emails to make this happen, at least they made good. All is well now.

Update 10/21/2009: It has been nearly a year since my Sig was repaired. Since the repair, have fired well over a thousand rounds without a single problem.

No comments: